Friday, March 14, 2014

Final Project - Self Evaluation

What ethos did you strive for in your website? How does your website effectively convey that ethos?

The ethos I strived for in my website is catering a variety of people in multiple ways. In my website I address both people in the United States and people globally. It was hard to be specific for other countries but seeing that my citizenship resides in the United States, my audience will be people from here rather than overseas. I did think it was important to give those who view my website the statistics and facts about those suffering from hunger and malnutrition in other countries. Some specific examples are in my "Facts" and "Who" pages I direct the reader towards whichever is most relevant to them such as "Hunger in the United States" or "Hunger globally". These facts and statistics enhance the credibility of my site because it is information derived from professionals who spend a great deal of time studying this particular topic.

What logical or logos-driven elements exist in your website? How do they enhance your message?

Among the pages I have included many logos-driven elements to further support my cause. Rather than posting what I think is going on in the world I have included links to videos which tell us the suffering others are going through across the globe. I have also posted up a chart and links to other sites which one could explore for themselves and also links which I have taken information from .

In what ways are you using pathos to manipulate your audience? What makes those uses effective?

The pathos or emotional appeal I was striving for was sympathy and compassion for others. For my homepage I started off with a quote by the U.N. Food Agency ""Some 18,000 children die every day because of hunger and malnutrition and 850 million people go to bed every night with empty stomachs."  This quote sets up for my viewers what they should expect from my website, I also back this up with a photo of a girl holding the sign "please help" as she's sporting a somber face. Throughout my website there are heart breaking facts, news and videos which are all positioned in hopes that by the time they have surfed through each tab they are ready to contribute to the cause and explore the "involvement page".

How many different media do you use in your website? Why? How do they enhance your message? (Maybe check on McLuhan again)

I used two  different types of media in my website, articles and videos. I added these because our generation has a short attention span. If I were to just put text in all of my different pages I would be lucky if my viewers get past the first paragraph. I also thought these different forms of media will have a better impact. Much like what we talked about in class, visuals of hungry children are much more appealing than me seeing that they are hungry. Also articles and testimonials of the hunger issues people are facing have a much bigger affect because it comes directly from someone who is facing the hardship rather than myself who has the luxury of eating 3 large meals a day.

Identify your primary use of the spatial mode in your layout. How does this affect your audience? How does that enhance the message you are trying to send?

           In terms of page layout, I spent the most time on spacing.  The spacing of the paragraphs and alignment of text in my website is made to draw the readers down the page and then once finished to press the other tabs to view my next pages. You will notice this in the home page. Each title is bolded to differentiate one content from another, therefore directing the eye of the reader on to the next important topic. You will also notice that nothing is spaced more than a line or two apart and that was part of my design so that more content comes in view and the reader knows that he or she is not finished.

Tell me about your use of the linguistic mode. What kind of language are you using? How does that affect your message or your audience?

                In my site I aimed for a serious tone.  I was very direct with the content I displayed on my website as to not diverge from my overall message.

How is your website affected by/how does your website create kairos? In what way does your work prompt metanoia or reflection about your topic? (Maybe check on Consigny again)

Kairos is the propitious moment for decision or action. I have taken this concept and applied it to my site. With the overwhelming amount of information on what is happening across the globe today I have hopefully spurred a sense of need for action in my  audience. The information is current and relevant and I think this plays a huge part in how people respond. If the facts and statistics were outdated then there would be no need to make a site such as mine.

Identify your primary uses of the visual mode (what audiences will notice most, visually). How are you using these visual elements rhetorically in your website? Are there subtle uses of visual elements that are intended to affect audiences on a subconscious level? Think about the elements in the prezi we looked at (now linked under the Unit 2 tab): color, lines, shapes, tone, spacing, movement, rhythm, etc.

My audience will notice the uniformity throughout each page and the clean look I gave it with white text and a blue background. A neat website is a professional one in my opinion. This directly ties in to ethos, unlike the website shown in class "lizards in space" or something along those lines, the site did not look professional whatsoever. The colors were an eyesore and the layout was cluttered. My site I hope is pleasing to the eye, and displays credibility through professionalism in thought and execution.  

Can you categorize your website in a genre more specifically than “propaganda” or “public service announcement?”

I would classify my website's genre as persuasive through the use of sympathy. I am trying to touch the hearts of my viewers and convince them that the battle with hunger and malnutrition is not just fought in third world countries but also in the home of those who are able to afford food. I also tried use sympathy to motivate those who are coming to my site to assist those who are less fortunate.

What other sites and sources have you linked to? What purpose does your linking serve? How does tying your site to those other sources enhance your message?


On my involvement page I have four linked pages. Some of which I took facts and statistical information from. I chose these sites because they were constantly updating their information on what is happening across the world. They also provided more resources and links to other sources for those who either wanted to help in the fight against global hunger or who are trying to find answers. What all these sites had in common is their cause for action. They took my persuasive site to the next level and gave reasons of why one should act and help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment