Saturday, April 19, 2014

Final Site , Rationale and Reflection

Marc Wai
DTC 355
Rationale: Final Project
            I thought I would start out the with the constraints and adversities I faced from doing this site because it is still very fresh and apparent.  I thought I chose a very good topic, global hunger but what I did not account for is the amount of information available. It was almost overwhelming and it made my job harder to sift through information that would be most effective in driving my audience  to the involvement page.
             Speaking of audience , I had encountered the same problem when doing this site in the earlier portion of the semester. In my first draft I extended the topic to both people in the U.S. and across the globe, in particular third world countries. This proved to be difficult as I was jumping from audience to audience without fair warning. In this edit of my first website I was torn between the two, U.S. or third world countries, I chose to present the issue of malnutrition in third world countries.  Despite having committed I still had doubts of whether this topic was the right choice or would it have been better targeting a different audience and having a fresh perspective. With the time constraint I went ahead with it.
            Last on the list is the layout of the website and this will be obvious when one looks at the site. As said in a previous comment it is not uniform between the home page and the rest of the html pages. I did attempt to solve this problem but there was no quick fix which I knew of that would have allowed me to make it into what I hoped it would be. To depict what I had intended if everything went as planned, I had hoped to have centered the text/content  on the page to match that of the home page. For some of the photos and videos I wanted to wrap the edges in text to fill blank spaces and create uniformity. This vision would have also taken care of the overall look which is currently looking like a word document.
            Transitioning to content goal I hoped to utilize ethos , pathos and logos throughout my site.
What ethos did you strive for in your website? How does your website effectively convey that ethos?

The ethos I strived for in my website is having a wide target audience and using a concise topic. In my website I address the less fortunate as a whole and am targeting those who may be able to spare time or money to help those suffering. I was not really concerned with directing the attention to one specific country because that would narrow the audience but rather using the world as my topic of discussion. Anybody and everybody could find this of interest. I did this by including global statistics and facts about those suffering from hunger and malnutrition. Some specific examples are in my "Facts" and "Who" I discuss whom across continents are affected. These facts and statistics enhance the credibility of my site because it is information derived from professionals who spend a great deal of time studying this particular topic.

What logical or logos-driven elements exist in your website? How do they enhance your message?

Among the pages I have included many logos-driven elements to further support my cause. Rather than posting what I think is going on in the world I have included links to videos which tell us the suffering others are going through across the globe. I have also posted up a charts and links to other sites which one could explore for themselves and also links which I have taken information from . What I was most excited about is the "possibilities" page. This page stages professional individuals who have extensively researched global hunger and have taken their assessments and that of their colleagues and created a plan that could change the future.

In what ways are you using pathos to manipulate your audience? What makes those uses effective?

The pathos or emotional appeal I was striving for was sympathy and compassion for others. For my homepage I started off with a photo of ecstatic children whom have just received water. This photo along with the quote " No one has ever become poor by giving." sets up for my viewers the ability for them to contribute and change the life of another. It also is preview of what they should expect from my website, which is my duty as the creator to inform then and then persuade my viewers. Throughout my website there are heart breaking facts, news and videos which are all positioned in hopes that by the time they have surfed through each tab they are ready to contribute to the cause and explore the "involvement page".

            Much of the elements I included in my pages are the basics to any website. Some that were important were the presence of linked videos for ease of access, along with pictures that were also linked to a website. Examples are in the "About" page, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn, which were all included to expand my audience. To achieve these elements I put on my website I primarily used Youtube tutorials. I also used code academy to get the basics of coding down. I had other ideas in mind for overall presentation that would have elevated the appeal of my site but there were fine points to coding that are just indecipherable at my level. Overall this project was a challenge but I think I got the main elements on my website and am very pleased with the product.


Reflection

            A full semester working with Blogger and Dreamweaver has made me realize how much I dislike coding. Coding I believe are for the special few who love puzzles and do not mind the long hours of work with a small reward. With that I am a big fan of Blogger and Wix. This has to do with the simplicity of both the sites.  Much like you said "those of us who don't work exclusively with the internet might be happy with Blogger because we don't have to worry about maintaining it." That is precisely it.

            Working with Dreamweaver put me in a position which caused my content to suffer. I was so concerned with the overall appearance of the website (which still didn't turn out as planned) that I forgot content was equally as important. Blogger did what I needed it to do and more. I have explored other peoples Blogger site and to me it looks immaculate yet simple. I was more concerned with what the content was and what it had to offer rather than an elaborate layout. Now I am not saying a beautiful layout from Dreamweaver is not important, it just does not suit me as one who doesn't work with coding and websites as often.


            So with the little experience I have had with designing this semester, I think layout is the most important part of the process. In journalism we are taught the inverted pyramid and I have applied this to many of my designs. The inverted pyramid for those who do not know, is putting the most important information first and place the less interesting or least important content last. So much like a newspaper , the headline story is first and it is blown up bigger than anything else on the page, then comes the rest of the stories which are given less room on the page or even shoved to the edges. Overall everything is spaced properly , the website should draw the reader down the page and hopefully to the next and above all it looks pleasing to the eye. If the layout is good then the viewer can focus on the content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment