Friday, January 17, 2014

When looking around Room 105, the message of "you're here to learn and not play" is what comes to mind. I came to this conclusion from the different signage scattered on the walls, one printed in big bold letters says "Silence" another flashes the words "No Smoking." A more subtle clue as to what the message is, are the computers. They distinguish themselves from public day use desk tops by including a student's ID number to log in. From these select items which first caught my eye, I thought they were fairly effective and slightly obvious as to what message they were trying to get across.

Addressee: Me
Contact: Apple computer
Code: Physical layout - I have 2 feet between me and the person in the seat beside me
Ethos: Signage around the room, The layout of the computers, you are almost isolated in your own respective space
Pathos: Dissuading me from using the computer , because of the log in code
Context: Class time
Kairos: Keyboard, Logitech mouse, Apple computer, Photoshop (Providing opportunity to use equipment that we may not necessarily own)
Message: It is time to work or "you're here to learn and not play"
Metanoia: A message that was expressed to me today was that this room is a computer lab, the layout and decorum provides clues as to it being in fact a computer lab. This may be a stretch but the layout of this room and what it is, in fact gets me to reflect upon my focus as a student. When looking around there are not many things to distract a person, rather it directs ones attention to either the white board or your computer. So this room does in fact force me to engage in metanoia.



No comments:

Post a Comment